Is Life Good?

There’s an ad keeps coming up on my computer when I tune in to look at e-mails. Sometimes I look at what it says, and other times, I just keep on doing what is needed. Today I looked at the ad. It was from a company entitled “Life is Good.”

“Is it really?” I asked myself. “Is my life good? What about all the people who in the last several months have lost their life to some sort of violence? I wonder if, in the seconds before their death, they were fighting for the very thing we take for granted  LIFE?” I began to wonder what it is that makes life so cherished that we fight until the last split second to keep it. I suppose there are a few who choose to take their own lives because they experience life as not so good, but the majority of us want to hold on as long as possible.

So mentally, as I was mixing brownies for a Sabbath treat, I began to make a list of why for me, life is good. First on my list is my relationship with God.  He is who I run to first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Believe it or not, we commune many times a day, like if I need help or if I need strength or courage or if a praise to Him comes to me. And, He knows me thoroughly and understands when I fail to visit with him as much as I should.

Secondly comes the family God gave to us. Children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are our pride and joy, and watching them grow is a great pleasure. Snuggling with the children is one of my fondest pastimes! Very soon, Ron and I will celebrate fifty-five years of intimate love and togetherness. He is my closest and best, not only because we are lovers, but team partners in ministry and best friends. Some woman friends are a place of solace when circumstances seem rough and I need a place to hide, while others provide a few laughs (good medicine). Long-standing friendships with women (as long as 60 years) are living treasures to me.  There is an excellent saying on our family room wall:

“A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.” Author Unknown

Earthly friends are but one of God’s gifts to us, and yet the greatest gift is His presence  His friendship! Life is good because . . .

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23, NIV)

It is true – Because of my Savior, Friend and Shepherd,  Life IS good!

Leave A Comment

Translate »