Do You Need “Hyge” in Your Life?

“Hyge.”

Have you ever heard this word before? It is pronounced in English as “hoo-ga.” Hyge comes from Denmark where they have 17 hours of winter darkness. You’d think there’d be lots of depression but there is not. The Danish have learned to slow down (un-rush) and cozy up. They get together, have a cup of tea, coffee, or cocoa, light a fire in the fireplace, and snuggle under a blanket. Light a candle on the side table and turn down the bright lights and shut off blue light appliances. Rather than busy streets, busy workplaces, and busier lives, they’ve learned to enjoy the slower, simpler things in life.

It’s not rocket science. It is a choice and a sensible one in, my opinion, as I’m always looking to simplify my life and enjoy it more. I just wish I had more like-minded friends to do this with.  Ah well, I will start with number One: God. And He will provide, as He always does with what He knows I am in need of.

It sounds like the Danish (is that right? Reminds me of breakfast pastry . . .) have learned you can’t pour from an empty cup. Busy, busy, all the time drains us. We (Americans) never seem to stop ’til we can’t do one more thing and flop exhaustedly into the recliner or finally to bed.

Hyge (“hoo-ga”) sounds good to me – just not the blanket and hot fireplace in the middle of 111 degree weather. Thoughts of winter – five months away – help me get through each roasting day.

What if we commit to the idea of “unrushing” and nourishing our souls instead of ticking off all the boxes on our “to-do” lists? Instead, we could connect with God on a deeper level, reading His love letters (the Bible) to us, and reflecting on His promises. We would be able to slow down, look up, and turn our eyes to the One Who loves us more than we can ever imagine. In doing so and learning of His ways, which are easy and yield positive outcomes (as scripture tells us), wouldn’t we be more inclined to connect more with our family and friends on a regular basis?  Fellowship!

We do not need a sanctified building. Wherever God is and abides with us IS holy. (No blanket necessary!)

Leave A Comment

Translate »